The University of Vienna seeks to fill the position from 01.10.2017 of a University Assistant (post doc) at the Faculty of Historical and Cultural Studies. Job Reference number: 7876 Link to post.
The advertised position is in the research field of Late Antique and Early Christian Archaeology and offers unique opportunities for carrying out cross-disciplinary research.
Duration of employment: 6 year/s
Extent of Employment: 40.0 hours/week
Job grading in accordance with collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 lit. b (postdoc) with relevant work experience determining the assignment to a particular salary grade.
Job Description (link):
The position requires the active participation in research, teaching and administration. This involves:
• Developing and strengthening the independent research profile
• Preparing/writing a habilitation thesis
• Involvement in research projects and active participation in fieldwork related to Late Antique and Early Christian Archaeology
• Participation in the key research areas „Material Culture and History of Visual Culture Cultures and Media of the Visual”
• Responsibility for project applications and the acquisition of third party funding.
• Independent teaching of students as defined by the collective agreement
• Supervision of students during fieldwork
• Involvement in the department administration as well as in teaching and research administration
• PhD degree or equivalent qualification in archaeology (Classical or Late Antique and Early Christian Archaeology).
• Research record, international presentation experience and publications in the field of Late antique and Early Christian Archaeology
• Field work experience
• Skills in material culture studies and in applying archaeo-science to field study and to material culture
• Excellent command of academic English
• The ability to work in team
Desirable additional qualifications:
• Teaching experience
• Knowledge of university processes and structures
• Experience abroad
• Spoken German is an advantage but not a requirement
The applications must be written in English and include:
• Letter of motivation (1 or 2 pages max)
• Academic curriculum vitae (including a list of publications, a list of courses and a list of talks given)
• Description of research agenda or of the intended research project (2/3 pages max)
• Contact details of 3 scholars who could provide a letter of reference (the latter will be contacted only if the application is under closer consideration)
Applications should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna (http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 01.09.2017, mentioning reference number 7876.
For further information please contact:
Prof. Dr. Basema Hamarneh
University of Vienna
Institute for Classical Archaeology
Human Resources and Gender Equality of the University of Vienna
Reference number: 7876
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity ( http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.