Visiting Jewish Catacombs in Rome
The ICS is proud to be the only United States organization to facilitate visits to Rome's Jewish catacombs. For information on how to visit these catacombs and on the unique partnership between Italy and the Union of Italian Jewish Communities (UCEI) for their study and conservation, see our list below. Please note that, at present (2016), only two Jewish catacombs in Rome are accessible, those of the Vigna Randanini and Villa Torlonia:
Jewish Catacombs of the “Vigna Randanini"
Via Appia Pignatelli, n. 4 (Appia - Rome)
Below private property. Open to the public by appointment.
Jewish Catacomb of the “Vigna Cimarra"
Via di San Sebastiano, n. 28 (Appia - Rome)
Below private property. Click here for a site visit in 2001.
Jewish Catacombs of the Villa Torlonia
Via Nomentana, n. 70 (Nomentana - Rome)
In a public park. Closed until further notice. Click for ICS interactive digital map.
Jewish Catacombs on the Via Labicana
Via Casilina, opposite “La Certosa” (Casilina - Rome)
Destroyed or inaccessible.
To visit the Jewish catacombs and other archaeological sites in Rome administered by the Italian State but not ordinarily open to the public, authorization must be obtained directly from:
Soprintendenza Speciale per i Beni Archeologici di Roma (SSBAR)
Piazza dei Cinquecento, 67 - 00185 Rome tel. +1/39/06/480201 - fax 06/48903504
For information regarding jurisdiction over Jewish sites in Italy, contact the non-profit Fondazione per i Beni Culturali ebraici in Italia (Foundation for Jewish Cultural Monuments and Art in Italy):
Fondazione per i Beni Culturali ebraici in Italia ONLUS
Lungotevere Raffaello Sanzio 9, Rome - Tel. 340.7368280
Note: Jewish catacombs and individual burial chambers have been identified in other Italian regions south of Rome, including Venosa (PZ), Naples, Bari, Sicily, and Sardinia. Contact information for visiting these sites is here.
The Jewish Community of Rome's Culture Department also promotes the preservation and study of the city's Jewish sites:
Comunità Ebraica di Roma (C.E.R.), Dipartimento di Cultura Ebraica
Lungotevere De’ Cenci – 00186 Rome - Tel. +39 06 68400628 – Fax: +39 0668400684
The C.E.R.'s Cultural Department collaborates with the cultural association, "Le Cinque Scole" to facilitate tours to Jewish historic sites in Rome:
Associazione Culturale Le Cinque Scole - Viale Giotto 25, 00153 Rome - Tel. +39.348.1224039 - http://www.jewishromecinquescole.com/w/ - E-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cultural organizations and tour companies that arrange visits to Jewish catacombs in Rome
General assistance with visiting Jewish sites in Rome: Jewish Community of Rome Information Center (JewishInfoPoint), via Santa Maria del Pianto, 1, 00186, Rome; http://www.romaebraica.it; email@example.com: tel. 3288976222.
Individuals and groups visiting Rome may also contact one of the authorized non-profit organizations, tour companies, and private guides listed below to schedule a private tour of the Jewish catacombs. Public, state-sponsored tours are held on occasion, and announced on our social media (Blog, Facebook, Twitter, Google+).
- Appia Antica Regional Park: www.parcoappiaantica.it; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Roma Sotterranea: www.romasotterranea.com; email@example.com
- Sotterranei di Roma: www.sotterraneidiroma.it; firstname.lastname@example.org
- International Society for Archaeology, Art & Architecture of Rome: http://isarome.org; email@example.com
- Cinzia Cortese of Roman-Gateway Tours: http://www.roman-gateway.com/jewish-catacomb-tour/
- Context Travel: www.contexttravel.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Samantha Lombardi at Il Consiglio Archeologico http://www.ilconsiglioarcheologico.it; email@example.com
- Michaela Pavoncello at Jewish Roma: www.jewishroma.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Valeria Pugiotto: email@example.com
- Massimo Schiumacche' of Cinque Scuole: http://www.cinquescole.org; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sara Procaccia at JewishEurope: http://jewisheurope.org; email@example.com
- Katie Parla at Parla Food: www.parlafood.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Walks Inside Rome: www.walksinsiderome.com; email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tom Rankin at Studio Rome: www.studiorome.net; email@example.com
- Rome Guided Tour: www.romeguidedtour.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gartours: http://www.gartourprograms.net/worldwide/underground.html
- Trasecoli Associazione Culturale: http://www.trasecoli.it/; email@example.com
- Laura Weinstein: +393470762480; www.RomanHolidayTours.com; and www.ItalianHolidayTours.com
Tour organizers: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be added to this list (multi-lingual guides are preferred)